I have a recipe for a delicious vegan bolognese sauce that tastes exactly like the real thing. It’s super easy to make in bulk so you can freeze portions for later. This is an all-round crowd pleaser which I served over spaghetti with my favorite brand of parmigiana cheese.
I love to make a big batch of this sauce and store it in the refrigerator. It’s great for so many meals during the week, especially when I don’t feel like cooking. When you are ready to eat simply cook your pasta and toss with your favorite vegan parmigiana cheese (or you can use nutritional yeast.)
This recipe calls for a few common products which you can find at the store: tomato sauce, salt, olive oil, red pepper flakes, garlic, basil, and red wine. Making the sauce from scratch is optional but definitely recommended.
Here’s what you’ll need:
– 1 cups red wine (optional) – 15 oz tomato sauce – 14.5 oz crushed tomatoes – 3 Tbsp olive oil – 4 cloves garlic, minced – sea salt (or regular salt) to taste – fresh basil leaves from 1 large bunch – crushed red pepper to taste 1 bag beyond meat. I used Beyond’s vegan ground beef but you can use any soy or vegan protein that you prefer.
– Heat oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat.
– Add Beyond ground beef and garlic and sauté until golden brown, about 2 mins.
-Add wine (if you choose to use) and cook for another 1 min or so.
-Add your crushed tomato’s and tomato sauce.
-Chop up your basil into small stripes and add to your sauce.
-Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low and let simmer for at least 30 mins.
-Add cracked pepper and salt to taste.
Cook your sauce over your stove to your desired flavor. It takes a good 45 mins for me to make my sauce but if you want a really rich flavor than you can let your sauce sit on a low simmer for a few hours.
That is how I make my delicious sauce!
Feel free to add meatballs or sausage; it will only make your sauce taste better!
- 1 cup red wine
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz crushed tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- to taste sea salr or regular salt
- to taste crushed red pepper
- 1 large bunch basil
- 1 bag beyond meat