I have a recipe for a delicious vegan bolognese sauce that tastes exactly like the real thing. It’s super easy to make in bulk so you can freeze portions for later. This is an all-round crowd pleaser which I served over spaghetti with my favorite brand of parmigiana cheese.
I love to make a big batch of this sauce and store it in the refrigerator. It’s great for so many meals during the week, especially when I don’t feel like cooking. When you are ready to eat, simply cook your pasta and toss with your favorite vegan parmigiana cheese (or nutritional yeast.)
This recipe calls for a few common products which you can find at the store: tomato sauce, salt, olive oil, red pepper flakes, garlic, basil, and red wine. Making the sauce from scratch is optional but definitely recommended.
Here’s what you’ll need:
– 1 cups red wine (optional) – 15 oz tomato sauce – 14.5 oz crushed tomatoes – 3 Tbsp olive oil – 4 cloves garlic, minced – sea salt (or regular salt) to taste – fresh basil leaves from 1 large bunch – crushed red pepper to taste 1 bag beyond meat. I used Beyond’s vegan ground beef but you can use any soy or vegan protein that you prefer.
– Heat oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat.
– Add Beyond ground beef and garlic and sauté until golden brown, about 2 mins.
-Add wine (if you choose to use) and cook for another 1 min or so.
-Add your crushed tomato’s and tomato sauce.
-Chop up your basil into small stripes and add to your sauce.
-Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low and let simmer for at least 30 mins.
-Add cracked pepper and salt to taste.
Cook your sauce over your stove to your desired flavor. It takes a good 45 mins for me to make my sauce but if you want a really rich flavor than you can let your sauce sit on a low simmer for a few hours.
That is how I make my delicious vegan bolognese sauce!
Here is a quick tip. Feel free to add meatballs or sausage; it will only make your sauce taste better!
- 1 cup red wine
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz crushed tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- to taste sea salr or regular salt
- to taste crushed red pepper
- 1 large bunch basil
- 1 bag beyond meat